Friday, September 19, 2008

Phils haze the rookies

ATLANTA -- A Roman solider, Geisha, '20s-style flapper, Britney Spears and two leather-bound "adult" entertainers boarded the Phillies' charter for Florida on Friday.

That meant one thing: Rookie hazing, one of baseball's oldest rituals, had arrived for one of baseball's hottest teams. After sweeping the Braves for their seventh-straight win, the first-place Phillies punished their six least experienced personnel.

Infielder Mike Cervenak barely fit into his pink stockings and mini skirt, with a long blonde wig, then gamely posed for photographs with Lou Marson, who donned black leather chaps with a mask.

"Don't judge me," Cervenak said.

In the corner of the locker room, Greg Golson generated tremendous buzz with his black dress flapper outfit, high heels and a matching wig. Players snapped pictures and some posed with their prohibition-era dancer.

At no time, did the outfielder feel pretty.

"I feel like an idiot," he said. "If it means I'm here, I'll do it again. I don't care. I knew it was going to happen. I'll embrace it and have fun with it. I think I got off easy. I'm in a dress, but there's ventilation."

J.A. Happ needed help from reliever Scott Eyre with the final touches of his Julius Caesar-style outfit, and rookie strength and conditioning coordinator Dong Lien pulled off a decent look as a Geisha.

Sophomore Kyle Kendrick, who last year dressed as a French maid with the rookie class, had to repeat the procedure, this time as the second leather entertainer.

"I was told he was a rookie," said Brad Lidge, one of the players responsible for selecting the outfits, along with Eyre and a few other relievers. "A lot of guys have to do it twice and he fell into that category."

"I'm glad I'm not a rookie anymore, because the outfits are getting worse," said Cole Hamels, who wore a zoot suit in 2006. "I lucked out with that."

No player is exempt from dress-up day, as it represents one of baseball's rites of passage. Ask a veteran and he'll recite the outfit specifically picked out for him.

Lidge remembers the "big ugly plaid skirt," and Eyre wore a short dress, which he thought showed off what he called "sexy legs." Most times, the costumes selected are clothing related.

Then, there's Joe Blanton, who like Kendrick, had to endure two hazings.

"The first year, it was a Styrofoam barrel with straps over the shoulder, a mullet wig and Elvis sunglasses with the sideburns," Blanton said. "Then the next year I was an electric socket and Nick Swisher was the plug. The barrel was pretty good. It was more original.

"Everybody has to do it, or else, so you have to have a good time with it. If you don't, it's going to be worse. I only have a couple of years in, but it's one of the most memorable things."

No comments: