Sunday, September 7, 2008

Escobar enjoying first taste of bigs

Escobar enjoying first taste of bigs


MILWAUKEE -- The pitchers' duel between Ben Sheets and Jake Peavy no doubt held the attention of countless baseball fans on Saturday -- including those in the Milwaukee Brewers' dugout.

For players like Alcides Escobar, the team's heir apparent at shortstop, soaking in the experience of pennant-fever baseball has been crucial.

"I can't believe I'm even here," Escobar said. "It's very different than the Minor Leagues. It's a different way to play baseball. I'm watching superstars like Ben Sheets and Jake Peavy. I've never seen those guys together in one game. It's very cool."

Escobar, Angel Salome and Mat Gamel, the three September callups who merited the most notoriety in terms of potential, each recorded his first Major League at-bat in Wednesday's loss to the New York Mets. It was Escobar who logged the first hit, a blooper that left fielder Endy Chavez trapped.

"At the time, I was thinking, 'C'mon, c'mon, base hit,'" Escobar said.

Escobar's defense has long been netting attention in the Minor Leagues, but he experienced a breakout season at the plate with Double-A Huntsville this season. The 21-year-old batted .334 with eight home runs and 76 RBIs, with a .363 on-base percentage and .434 slugging mark. All were easily career highs for a player in his fifth year with the organization.

"I learned a lot in Double-A, and I had a good season," Escobar said. "I was just hitting, hitting, hitting. I want to play in the big leagues for, like, 10 years, so [it's okay knowing] I'm going to go down again."

Escobar also flashed another one of his tools on Friday: his speed. Brewers manager Ned Yost used Escobar as a pinch-runner in the 11th inning of the team's 3-2 win over San Diego, and while he was thrown out at second on Craig Counsell's bunt attempt, he made the play much closer than it should have been.

Was he safe?

"Yeah," Escobar said with a smile. "Pinch-running, whatever they need, man. They can use me wherever."

No comments: