Monday, March 24, 2008

Pettitte's back throwing wrench in plans

TAMPA, Fla. -- While Andy Pettitte settles for simply playing catch,
the Yankees are preparing contingency plans in case their projected
No. 2 starter is not available to make his first appearance of the
season.

Pettitte has been sidelined since Thursday with back spasms, an issue
that hampered his progress last spring as well. The 35-year-old
left-hander has said that he does not believe this occurrence is as
serious as it was last year, but he is still unsure if he will be able
to throw in a scheduled bullpen session on Wednesday.

"I just can't get on the mound until I don't feel anything when I get
over my front side," Pettitte said. "We'll start with playing catch
and see how I feel. I think I'll know when I wake up if I can throw
off the mound or not. You never know."

Pettitte played catch with pitching coach Dave Eiland for about five
minutes on Monday, popping 47 tosses at a distance of 60 feet. He said
he still feels tightness across his lower back on both sides, despite
having been administered anti-inflammatory medication.

If he can get in a game by Friday, Pettitte would be available to
pitch on April 2 against the Blue Jays, but if not, that projected
start would be in jeopardy.

"It's definitely taking me a little bit longer than I thought it would
when I originally hurt it, and that's definitely frustrating,"
Pettitte said. "I don't think it's anything other than a muscle
spasm."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Pettitte would not be scheduled
for an MRI since the club believes it is just a muscular issue, and
the club appears to be ruling out a stint on the disabled list.

"I don't think so, unless I do something stupid," Pettitte said. "They
definitely have not mentioned that at all, so I don't think it's even
in their minds. If it's not in their mind, it's definitely not in my
mind."

Girardi said he took Pettitte's brief catch session as a positive sign.

"If you can play catch, it means it's not too painful and the back
spasms are relaxing," Girardi said. "You see back spasms pop up pretty
regularly during Spring Training because of increased intensity from
what the workouts are during the offseason."

Girardi said that the Yankees' plan now is for Pettitte to be ready to
throw a side session on Wednesday, which would allow him to pitch in a
Minor League game on Friday in Tampa.

The Yankees have plenty of options to accommodate delaying Pettitte's
2008 debut, thanks to an off-day after the season opener on March 31.
One plan being floated is that Mike Mussina could start on April 2
against Toronto, on regular rest, allowing Pettitte to pitch the
Yankees' fourth or fifth game of the season that weekend against the
Rays.

"We've got all kinds of options for me not to miss my first turn
around," Pettitte said. "It's just a matter of if I pitch Game 2 or 4
or 5."

No comments: